Arroz con Leche is a real favorite in my household. Although I used to serve this in traditional clay dishes, I have also started to serve it in whisky glasses. I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law who learned it from her own mother.
You will need:
1.5 liters fresh milk
lemon peel (1 small lemon)
orange peel (1 small orange)
1 cinnamon stick
150 grams rice (raw, not pre-cooked)
100-120 grams granulated white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Place the milk, rice, peelings and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Heat in a stove on medium heat. Stir every 2-3 minutes to keep the rice from sticking into the saucepan bottom.
2. When the milk begins to turn thicker, add in the sugar. Start with 100 grams and add more if you want it sweeter. Keep on stirring.
3. Test the rice grains. If the rice is already cooked and done, turn off the stove and add in the vanilla extract.
4. Pour into the ramekins or glasses. Sprinkle sifted ground cinnamon on top.
5. Enjoy warm or cold!
- Chicha de Arroz con Piña (thepanamaadventure.com)
- Guandu con Arroz (thepanamaadventure.wordpress.com)