This is one of the many favorites of my family especially during the hot summer. This recipe was handed to me by my mother-in-law who learned it from her own mother. It is sweet and refreshing especially when drank cold. But it doesn’t always have to be drank. You can also serve it with your fruit desserts!
You will need:
1 liter fresh milk
130-150 grams granulated sugar
3 egg whites (room temperature)
1-2 tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1. Heat the milk, lemon peel, cinnamon stick and sugar in a pot. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once the milk starts to boil, turn off the heat and let the milk cool.
2. Once it is cool enough, freeze the milk. Don’t freeze it completely. When it’s half-frozen, take it out of the freezer. With the use of a large spoon, break the frozen milk so we can add the meringue to this later.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks are formed. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until the meringue is ready but not dry. Carefully fold the meringue into the half-frozen milk mixture.
4. Serve in a tall glass with a generous dash of ground cinnamon on top. The ground cinnamon, is optional, but recommended. Or, serve it in a whisky glass and top with your favorite fruit or fruit medley!
- Today’s Recipe: Cornmeal Cake with Dulce de Leche (williams-sonoma.com)
- Cookie of the Day: Whoopie Pies with Salted Dulce de Leche (williams-sonoma.com)