My family loves cupcakes. I have tried a few recipes but this one is their most favorite by far. It’s fluffy and soft with just the enough sweetness. The sugar on top of the cupcake gives a nice texture to it. My kids love biting into the soft cupcake while feeling the crunch of the sugar granules in their mouth. My husband said this is the best cupcake he’s ever tried. My daughter gave me a 100% rating for it while my little boy told me he wouldn’t be eating any other cupcake than this. ^^)
It’s so easy and quick to make that you can make it anytime. I just made a batch at half-past ten tonight so the kids and I can snack on it while watching animated movie on a weekend! ^^)
It’s great as is. But if you’d like to frost it, I don’t find any reason why you shouldn’t ^^)
Here’s the recipe (yields 2 dozens of cupcakes)
250 grams flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
5 grams of baking soda
200 grams white sugar
3 eggs (separate the whites from the yolks)
150 ml. milk
50 ml. virgin olive oil
100 ml. sunflower oil
½ teaspoon Lemon zest or vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven at 170-180 ºC.
- Grease your muffin pan or line it with muffin/cupcake liners.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. If you are using lemon zest, you can add it to the flour. Sieve and set aside.
- From the 200 grams of sugar, take 1 teaspoon and reserve in a cup. To this cup, mix the sugar and the baking soda. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks. Beat.
- Gradually add the white sugar and beat well.
- Add the milk and oils. Beat. If you are using lemon or vanilla essence, you can add it at this point.
- Gradually add the flour and beat well.
- Finally, add the sugar and baking soda mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Fill the muffin pan and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of white sugar on top of each cupcake.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and enjoy!