Sopa Mallorquina is a typical Mallorcan vegetable soup dish. What I like about this dish is its versatility and flexibility. You can make this soup with whatever you have in your fridge. You can make it meatless or you can use chicken, pork or even bacon. You can also use a variety of vegetables. And to make it even a cheaper dish, you can buy vegetables that are in season! This soup is delicious the day it’s made but is even tastier the day after. In Mallorca, it is typically served over thinly-sliced and toasted Pan Mallorquin. There is no reason you can’t use other types of bread. I even serve it over steamed rice!
Sopa Mallorquina – this one was meatless and made with cabbage, cauliflower, chard, green peas, lots of fresh tomatoes, green bell peper and fresh parsley.
Here’s the recipe:
1/4 kg meat (optional)
2 large spring onions, minced
1 large leek, minced
3 medium-sized onion, minced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium-sized green bell pepper, diced
4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, diced
a bunch of fresh parsley, washed and minced
1 medium-sized cabbage, julienned
1 medium-sized cauliflower, cut in small florets
a handful or two of green peas
a bunch of chard, washed and diced
1/4 kgs mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper
warm chicken broth
1. Heat a clay pot on a stove. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is already hot, saute the meat. Once the meat turns brown, add the leek, spring onions, bay leaf, onion and garlic. Saute.
2. Add the mushrooms, green bell pepper and tomatoes.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables. Sautee. Once the liquid (released by the vegetables) has already reduced, add tablespoon of paprika, salt and pepper to taste and broth. Start with a 1/2 cup of broth and just add more later to cook the vegetables.
4. Simmer until vegetables are cooked. Add more or less broth depending on personal preference.
Now, if you like your soup to have more broth, add more. Some people prefer their sopa mallorquina almost dry. Personally, I like mine (and my kids, too) with lots of broth. My husband likes his with less broth. So when preparing his plate, I just scoop out vegetables while draining the broth. Everybody is pleased and happy ^^)
5. To serve, place thinly sliced and toasted bread on plate. Pour sopa mallorquina on top of the bread. Enjoy hot!